RED FLAGS OF AN UNHEALTHY RELATIONSHIP:
- Blames others for own faults
- Drug/Alcohol use/abuse
- History of family violence
- Fascination with weapons
- Strong gender stereotypes
- Difficulty with authority
- Cannot express emotions verbally
- Treats partner like property or something they "possess"
- Isolaties you from friends, family
- Blows up at little things
- Thinks it's OK to resolve conflict with violence
JUNE Feature: FRC Hosted a training offered Statewide!
CONNECTIONS TO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE THRU SUBSTANCE ABUSE,
ELDER ABUSE AND CHILD ABUSE
Our team would like to send out a great big thank you to
all of our guest speakers and participants that made
the training a big success!
TRAINING IS IMPORTANT TOO!
- Terri Crews, LCSW Clinical Manager; Piedmont Community Services
- Michelle Welch, Senior Assistant Attorney General, Director of the Animal Law Unit; Office of Attorney General
- Courtney O’Hara, Program Manager, Central VA Task Force on DV in Later Life; VCU’s Virginia Center on Aging
- Joyce Moran, Executive Officer; Southern VA Child Advocacy Center
IF SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS BEING ABUSED...
- Listen - "I believe you."
- Acknowledge - "No one deserves to be abused."
- Express Concern - "I am concerned for your safety."
- *Respect their Choices - "It's important for you to make decisions that are best for you."
- Be Supportive - "You are not alone."
- Provide Encouragement - "The Family Resource Center Hotline is anonymous & confidential. You could call them for help; I could sit with you when you do."
MAN UP - BE AN ADVOCATE - STOP THE VIOLENCE