Spring Blooms


Board of Supervisors
1255 Franklin Street, Suite 112
Rocky Mount, VA  24151

Phone: 540-483-3030 


Cline Brubaker
Bob Camicia
Mike Carter
Tommy Cundiff

Leland Mitchell or
Phone: 540-483-4488

Tim Tatum
Ronnie Thompson



Where can I find documents related to the pipeline project?
Please visit the (link to FERC) for filings and other information.

What is the County's role in the construction of the Mountain Valley Pipeline?
Franklin County will:

  • Coordinate site inspections for erosion and sediment and storm water control between Franklin County staff and VA DEQ and its subcontractors per the Memorandum of Agreement when complaints have been received from citizens.
  • Maintain a safe, cooperative, lawful work environment between MVP construction employees, affected landowners, and any group in support of or in opposition to the project. 
  • Coordinate and release information to the public as it relates to Franklin County or any mutual aid agency response to an escalating situations involving the pipeline project via media broadcasting outlets and monitor public chatter. 
  • Provide an appropriate law enforcement response level to civil disobedience and criminal offenses that may arise.
  • Enforce any judicial order or fire code violation as required by the Code of Virginia. 

Will County Sheriff's Deputies be guarding pipeline construction equipment?
No. MVP and their contractors will be responsible for the security of their own property.  

Will MVP security guards be approved by the Sheriff's Office or include off-duty Franklin County officers?
Yes, MVP security personnel will require certification by the VA Department of Criminal Justice.  No Franklin County personnel will be employed as security for the MVP project.

What can be done about construction workers speeding/driving recklessly?
The Sheriff's Office will continue to conduct patrols and speed enforcement in areas affected by construction traffic just as it does elsewhere in the County, to include concentrating enforcement efforts in areas where crashes and violations increase. Enforcement of traffic laws will be objective and fair.

How are school buses going to get down roads clogged by construction traffic?
MVP has expressed their intention to work with the County to avoid interfering with school buses, trash trucks, and other vehicular traffic. Some restricted width due to parking is probably inevitable but vehicles that unreasonably impede traffic may have to be removed.  The County will post information concerning known road closures as soon as possible.

I’m concerned about open burning as part of the pipeline project. Is a permit required?
No. But MVP has agreed to provide burn notifications to Franklin County Public Safety at least 48 hours prior to each burning event.

When can open burning take place?
From February 15th to April 30th, open burning, including recreational fires, can only be done between the hours of 4 p.m. and midnight so that Department of Forestry guide lines can be met. 

I’m concerned about blasting as part of the pipeline project. Is a permit required?
Yes. Blasting operations shall only be conducted by persons certified through the State Fire Marshal's Office. All blasts shall be in accordance with the Statewide Fire Prevention Code and NFPA 495, and a bond or certificate of insurance shall be on file in the minimum amount of $1,000,000. Blasting shall be conducted in daylight hours unless otherwise approved. When blasting in congested areas, measures shall be taken to reduce earth vibrations and air blast effects. Measures include, but not limited to, the use of blasting mats and monitoring vibrations and air blast effects with a seismograph. Detailed records of each blast shall be maintained.

Do private citizens need a permit to demonstrate in opposition/support of the pipeline project?
The County does have an ordinance concerning demonstrations.  Chapter 6 of the County Code provides the requirements for demonstrations.  Those wanting to demonstrate must contact the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors to obtain an application at (540) 483-3032.

Where can people demonstrate peacefully in Franklin County?

  • Any publicly-owned park or government-owned property provided that freedom of movement, ingress or egress, or the ability by other persons to conduct business or other lawful activities are not interfered with; 
  • Or along any public road provided that the demonstration does not impede or block the flow of traffic.  
  • Or on private property (with the owner’s consent) and in public places. However, participants may not obstruct the free passage of others; you may not obstruct vehicular and pedestrian traffic in roads, in parking lots, driveways, etc. without first obtaining a demonstration permit from the Board of Supervisors.